Scots end 38-year wait for Twickenham win

England: (6) 6
Pens: Farrell 2
Scotland: (8) 11
Try: Van der Merwe Pens: Russell 2

Scotland claimed a first win at Twickenham since 1983 as returning fly-half Finn Russell orchestrated a shock 11-6 Six Nations victory over England.

Capitalising on the hosts’ ill discipline, Russell gave Scotland a three-point lead before helping to set up Duhan van Der Merwe’s try.

Defending champions England clawed back six points and Russell’s charge was briefly halted by a yellow card.

But a resilient Scotland were undeterred and added another penalty.

England had been favourites to win the tournament but, with France having opened their Six Nations with a 50-10 defeat of Italy, their chances suddenly seem much slimmer.

Scotland, on the other hand, look likely to improve on last year’s fourth-place finish with Wales their opponents at Murrayfield next weekend.

Scotland bear burden of Twickenham history

There was no shortage of history surrounding the Calcutta Cup match. It marked the 150th anniversary of the first time England and Scotland played each other and the fact Scotland were without a win at Twickenham in 38 years was a key talking point in the build-up.

All the players had been confined to coronavirus bubbles in the week before the tournament, with England only allowed to socialise outside or otherwise stay alone in their rooms.

The joy of breaking free of their confines combined with the sense of occasion meant both sides sprung out onto the Twickenham pitch, but it was Scotland who looked keenest, determined to throw off the shackles of such a long winless run south of the border.

England, who fielded a relatively inexperienced front row with three experienced props absent, proceeded to concede four penalties in the first five minutes.

The fourth gave Russell – who was returning to international duty after a shoulder injury – the chance to put Scotland ahead.

England’s lack of attacking prowess drew criticism in their victorious Autumn Nations Cup campaign and they had promised better in 2021, but it was the visitors who shone in that area as debutant Cameron Redpath made repeated breaks.

For the hosts, the misdemeanours continued. On the eighth penalty conceded, referee Brace had had enough and sent number eight Billy Vunipola to the sin-bin after catching him offside.

As England’s penalty count entered double digits, the visitors got their just reward.

It started with Russell and travelled through a who’s who of Scotland’s backline, the excellent Stuart Hogg, Redpath and debutant hooker George Turner combining to feed Van der Merwe, who stepped inside and powered over near the left corner.

The celebrations were briefly halted as Scotland gave away a penalty and England captain Owen Farrell sent the ball over from just inside his own half.

As Farrell set up for a second penalty, the referee called for the television match official to review a trip by Russell on England scrum-half Ben Youngs – leading to a yellow card for the talismanic 10.

After Russell had left the field, Farrell scored his penalty and cut Scotland’s lead to two.

More to follow.

Source link

Leave a comment

%d bloggers like this: