Norway bow and arrow attacks: what we know so far about Kongsberg killings

  • A Danish man in his 30s is in custody after five people were killed and two others injured in a series of attacks using a bow and arrows in Norway on Wednesday evening.

  • The suspect is a Muslim convert who had previously been flagged as having been radicalised, according to police, but establishing motive would be “complicated … and will take time”.

  • The suspect, who policy say has confessed, is being held on preliminary charges, one step short of being formally charged.He is believed to have acted alone.

  • The attack took place at around 6.15pm local time in the suspect’s home town of Kongsberg, about 50 miles (80km) south-west of the capital, Oslo.

  • Several of the victims were fired on in a Coop supermarket in the town, and the attacker used other weapons as well as a bow and arrows.

  • The suspect was arrested after what police called a “confrontation” about 20 minutes after the attacks began.

  • Police said there were several crime scenes spread across a large area of the town.

  • Norway’s national police directorate said it had ordered officers nationwide to carry firearms.

  • The acting prime minister, Erna Solberg, described reports of the attack as “horrifying”. The prime minister-designate, Jonas Gahr Støre, who is expected to take office on Thursday, called the assault “a cruel and brutal act”.

  • The death toll was the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when the far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers at a youth camp.



  • Source link

    Leave a comment

    %d bloggers like this: