The MEA said China recently made an “attempt to change the status quo” in Pangong Tso Lake area by resorting to provocative military manoeuvres.
The MEA said Indian troops responded to these “provocative actions” and took “appropriate defensive measures” along the Line of Actual Control. (Photo: Reuters)
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Tuesday said China has been violating bilateral agreements with India and had resorted to provocative military manoeuvres last week. Issuing an official statement on the fresh faceoff between Indian and Chinese troops in eastern Ladakh, the MEA said China recently made an “attempt to change the status quo” in Pangong Tso Lake area.
“The Chinese side engaged in provocative military manoeuvers in the late night of August 29 and 30 in an attempt to change the status quo in the South Bank area of Pangong Lake,” the MEA said in a statement.
The MEA said the Indian troops responded to these “provocative actions” and took “appropriate defensive measures” along the Line of Actual Control.
The ministry said these defensive measures were “in order to order to safeguard our interests and defend the territorial integrity”.
“Yesterday, on August 31, even as the ground commanders of the two sides were in discussions to de-escalate the situation, the Chinese troops again engaged in provocative action. Due to the timely defensive action, the Indian side was able to prevent these attempts to unilaterally alter the status quo,” MEA Spokesperson, Anurag Srivastava said when asked about the situation in Ladakh.