Car waylaid by cattle, Vikas Dubey snatched gun, opened fire: UP cops reveal chain of events

The Special Task Force (STF) has released a press note detailing its version of events leading up to the death of gangster Vikas Dubey. A fugitive ever since he and his men opened fire at a police team killing eight cops on July 2, Dubey was being taken to Kanpur via road by a team of STF and the Uttar Pradesh Police.

In its statement, the STF claims that a team of personnel was taking Vikas Dubey to Kanpur for him to be produced before a court. “During the accident of a vehicle in the convoy on the National Highway under Sachendi police station limits in Kanpur district, the criminal snatched Ramakant Pachauri’s pistol and tried to run while firing at the police party, this is when the police party retaliated in self-defence injuring Vikas Dubey who died during treatment,” the STF’s press note said.

A service pistol (9 MM) and two hollow shells were recovered from the site, added the STF.

According to the press note, the Lucknow team was transporting Vikas Dubey under the supervision of Deputy Superintendent of Police (STF) Tej Bahadur Singh in a government vehicle. The STF claims that a herd of cattle waylaid the convoy out of the blue in front of the Kanhaiya Lal Hospital. “The driver, tired from the long drive, took a sudden turn in an attempt to save the animals which resulted in him losing control of the vehicle that overturned,” the press note goes ahead to claim.

The STF says this is when gangster Vikas Dubey who was in the vehicle that overturned along with policemen Ramakant Pachauri, Pankaj Singh, Anoop Singh, Satyavir and Pradip Kumar, took advantage of the situation and started running on the mud track still in possession of Pachauri’s service weapon.

Policemen in the vehicles behind the one that overturned reached the spot and were informed about Vikas Dubey’s attempt to flee. The police, led by DSP Tej Bahadur Singh chased Vikas Dubey but the criminal opened fire at them when they got too close, the STF claimed.

The press note goes further to add that Vikas Dubey opened fire at the police in his last moments with the intention to kill. Attempts were made to nab him alive but he started indiscriminately firing at the police team and was shot dead in retaliatory fire, said the STF.

As per the STF, the gangster was immediately rushed to the government hospital where he was declared dead. Policemen Shivendra Singh Sengar and Vimal Yadav, who suffered injuries after Dubey opened fire at them, are being treated, the press note says.

Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from

  • IOS App

Source link

Leave a comment

%d bloggers like this: