Gangster Vikas Dubey, who was arrested in Ujjain on Thursday, was killed in an encounter early on Friday morning after being brought to Kanpur.
On Friday morning, Vikas Dubey was being brought back to Kanpur by the Uttar Pradesh Police STF when a vehicle of the police convoy overturned. As the car overturned, Vikas Dubey allegedly tried to flee, when he was shot at by the police.
Vikas Dubey suffered bullet injuries in the encounter and succumbed. UP Police has confirmed that Vikas Dubey was killed on Friday. He was killed exactly seven days after the Kanpur ambush in which Vikas Dubey and his gang killed 8 policemen.
How the dramatic events unfolded:
1. Vikas Dubey was being brought to Kanpur by UP STF on Friday morning. On the way, one of the cars in the police convoy overturned in an accident. This created a commotion on the road.
2. Vikas Dubey tried to escape in the middle of the chaos and snatched a pistol from one of the officers. As he opened fire at the police, the personnel fire in retaliation. ANI has said, gangster Vikas Dubey attempted to flee after the car overturned.
3. Vikas Dubey was pronounced dead after he succumbed to the bullet injuries. He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was confirmed as dead.
4. Four police personnel were also injured in the firing as Vikas Dubey tried to escape them. The encounter took place at Sachendi border area in Kanpur.
5. After his arrest on Thursday, MP Police handed over Vikas Dubey’s custody to UP Police later in the evening. A police team from Uttar Pradesh came to Ujjain to take Dubey into their custody.
6. On Thursday, Vikas Dubey was arrested by Madhya Pradesh Police from outside the Mahakal Temple in Ujjain. He was finally arrested after a 6-day chase since the sensational killings of 8 police personnel in an ambush in Kanpur.
7. Vikas Dubey had bought Prasad from the Mahakal Temple and also a ticket to enter it. He was identified by the shop owner from whom he went to buy prasad to enter the temple. Later police came and asked for his name, when he started shouting “main Vikas Dubey hoon, Kanpur wala”.
8. As Madhya Pradesh Police geared up to hand over Vikas Dubey to UP Police, the personnel in UP meanwhile arrested his family members. His wife, son and a servant were arrested from their residence in Lucknow.
9. Vikas Dubey’s wife Richa Dubey was arrested from her Krishna Nagar residence on Thursday evening by a team of the Special Task Force (STF) on charges of harbouring the gangster and conniving with him. His young son and a servant were also arrested.
10. Vikas Dubey, who was wanted in 60 other cases, became the most-wanted man in Uttar Pradesh following the killings of 8 police personnel in Kanpur last week. UP Police launched a massive manhunt with over 25 teams to look for Vikas Dubey across UP and neighbouring states. A week after the Kanpur ambush, UP Police has killed him in an encounter.